The Graeco-Roman Museum is an archaeological museum in Alexandria, Egypt. Erected in 1892, it was first built in a five-room apartment, inside one small building on Rosetta Street (later Avenue Canope and now Horriya). In 1895, it was transferred to another, larger building near Gamal Abdul Nasser Street. The museum contains several pieces dating from the Graeco-Roman (Ptolemaic) era in the 3rd century BC, such as a sculpture of Apis in black granite, the sacred bull of the Egyptians, mummies, sarcophagus, tapestries, and other objects offering a view of Greco-Roman civilization in contact with ancient Egypt.
Its collection is the product of donations from wealthy Alexandrians as well as of excavations led by successive directors of the institution, both within the town and in its environs. Certain other objects have come from the Organization of Antiquities at Cairo (particularly those of the Pharaonic period) and from various digs undertaken at the beginning of the century in Fayoum and at Benhasa. Housed within a historic building whose beautiful neoclassical facade of six columns and pediment bears the large Greek inscription ‘MOYΣEION’ (MOUSEION). The museum consists of 27 halls and an attractive garden, which offer an excellent introduction to Egypt's Greco-Roman period.
Courtesy of Wikipedia
Pictures in this gallery are scans of old slides. If you have good-quality digital pictures and are willing to give them away for free, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org